Sunday, March 12

The Road to You-Know-Where. . .

. . .is paved with good intentions, right? Whatever. The blog-related intentions which will speed my journey to The Hot Place are:

I intend to start sewing again, seriously. I mean really. It's been a couple of years since I've sewn anything - I did costumes for dancing daughters for the 5 or 6 years previous to this slack period. I was fried. I have a big room with a couple of nice sewing machines and a serger. I have gadgets. Irons. Stacks of fabric. Bins of patterns. A home-made cutting table. Oh, yeah, don't let me forget the books. Shelves and shelves of books, including a set my grandmother acquired from the Women's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences of Scranton, PA while taking a correspondence course in sewing. They're dated 1940, and the story is that her submissions were returned, ripped to shreds, with demands to resubmit (until she got it right, I guess). I guess it paid off, she could really kick it at the machine. I've got her craft books from the '70s. She would never let me touch her sewing machine, but she taught me to crochet back when I was 8 or so. But I digress.

I intend to pursue this knitting thing, which I just recently figured out through the miracle of the Internet. I'd tried over and over through the years but just couldn't make it work, which really p***** me off. I mean, knitting has been done for hundreds of years by, well, everyone but me. I discovered that there is more than one way to knit. Holy smokes! Why didn't that occur to me? Sure enough, now I'm knitting (combination!) and producing more than a screwed up mess. I love the portability of it - I can do it during evenings of TV at BF's house.

I intend to not operate in a vacuum anymore. Who knew there were knitting and sewing blogs? I thought they were all politics and rumor clearinghouses. They are, to my surprise, Useful Things.

A public Thanks! to Grumperina. She provided encouragement and "oomph" via blog and email. Go, Science Girl, go!

2 Comments:

At 10:21 PM, Blogger explosivefarts said...

Just so you know, old pal Sean is a huge knitter...he's even spinning now. Has lots of links on his blog www.sprboston.com

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger Sean said...

Welcome to the our world! Isn't it amazing how many of us there are??!! I can't wait to see what you create! Good luck and stay in touch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home